Recipe for Guen Maï
Recipe for Guen Maï (classic, according to Me Deshimaru)
By Christiaan Degrande - Antwerp Dojo - Belgium.
For 10 people
350 g brown rice
3200 ml water
200 g carrot
200 g leek
100 g celery root
100 g turnip
100 ml tamari
120 g gomasio
• Wash the vegetables and cut them to the size of twice the size of a rice grain (to be made by samu "vegetable cutters").
• Rinse, wash the rice until the water runs clear, then soak for 10 hours.
• Bring the water to a boil.
• Drain the rice. Collect the water and add it to the boiling water.
• Roast the rice in a hot pan (WITHOUT fat).
• Shake it until it is lightly browned.
• Add the golden rice to the boiling water and boil for 1 1/2 hours until it opens up.
• Stir continuously with a large wooden spoon (so that the rice does not stick to the pan).
• If the guen maï, by boiling, becomes too thick, add hot water.
• When it is ready, wrap the pot in blankets.
The next day before zazen:
• If necessary, heat the guen maï again and wrap it in the blankets.
• A cold guen maï is thicker than a warm guen maï.
• If it is hot and still too thick, add more hot water.